Hi! I'm Wanling CAI. I am a Ph.D. Candidate at the Department of Computer Science, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU), under the supervision of
Dr. Li Chen.
Prior to that, I received my B.Eng degree in Software Engineering from the College of Computer Science and Software Engineering, Shenzhen University (SZU), China, in 2018.
During my undergraduate study, I undertook research on intelligent recommender systems, under the supervision of
Dr. Weike Pan.
I am currently working on dialogue-based conversational recommender systems. I am particularly interested in optimizing the design of conversational recommender systems via studies of human-computer interaction and natural language processing.
- Conversational Recommender Systems
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Dialogue Systems
- Machine Learning and Data Mining
- September 2018 - Present, Ph.D. Student, Department of Computer Science, HKBU, Hong Kong, P.R. China.
- October 2014 - June 2018, B.Eng. (Hons) in Software Engineering at College of Computer Science and Software Engineering, SZU, Shenzhen, P.R. China.
Wanling Cai, Yucheng Jin, and Li Chen.
Critiquing for Music Exploration in Conversational Recommender Systems.
In: Proceedings of 26th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI' 21), College Station, TX, USA, April 14–17, 2021.
Jannach, Dietmar, Ahtsham Manzoor, Wanling Cai, and Li Chen.
A Survey on Conversational Recommender Systems.
ACM Computing Surveys, Volume 54, Issue 5, Article No. 105, pages 1-36, 2021.
Wanling Cai and Li Chen.
Predicting User Intents and Satisfaction with Dialogue-based Conversational Recommendations.
In: Proceedings of 28th ACM Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP' 20), Genoa, Italy, July 14-17, 2020. [Best Student Paper Award]
Yucheng Jin, Wanling Cai, Li Chen, Nyi Nyi Htun, and Katrien Verbert.
MusicBot: Evaluating Critiquing-based Music Recommenders with Conversational Interaction.
In: Proceedings of 28th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM' 19), Beijing, China, November 3-7, 2019.
Wanling Cai and Li Chen.
Towards a Taxonomy of User Feedback Intents for Conversational Recommendations.
In: Proceedings of 13th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys' 19), Late-Breaking Results, Copenhagen, Denmark, September 16-20, 2019.
Wanling Cai, Jiongbin Zheng, Weike Pan, Jing Lin, Lin Li, Li Chen, Xiaogang Peng, and Zhong Ming.
Neighborhood-Enhanced Transfer Learning for One-Class Collaborative Filtering.
Neurocomputing (0925-2312), vol. 341, pages 80-87, 2019.
Weike Pan, Qiang Yang, Wanling Cai, Yaofeng Chen, Qing Zhang, Xiaogang Peng and Zhong Ming.
Transfer to Rank for Heterogeneous One-Class Collaborative Filtering.
ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS) (1046-8188), 37(1):10:1-10:20, January 2019.
Jixiong Liu, Jiakun Shi, Wanling Cai, Bo Liu, Weike Pan, Qiang Yang and Zhong Ming.
Transfer Learning from APP Domain to News Domain for Dual Cold-Start Recommendation.
In: Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Intelligent Recommender Systems by Knowledge Transfer & Learning (RecSysKTL 2017) co-located with the 11th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys' 17), Como, Italy, August 27-31, 2017.
- Reviewer, Journal of Intelligent Information Systems (JIIS), 2021
- Reviewer, Frontier in Artificial Intelligence, 2021
- Reviewer, Neurocomputing (NEUCOM), 2020
- Reviewer, Knowledge-Based Systems (KBS), 2018&2020&2021
- Sub-Reviewer, The Web Conference (WWW), 2019
- "Design and Evaluation of Conversational Agents", Department of Journalism, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong, P.R. China, April 21, 2021.
- "Critiquing for Music Exploration in Conversational Recommender Systems", IUI 2021 Conference Presentation (Virtual).
- "Predicting User Intents and Satisfaction with Dialogue-based Conversational Recommendations", UMAP 2020 Conference Presentation (Virtual).
- "Conversational Agents: Introduction, Design and Evaluation", Department of Journalism, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong, P.R. China, April 2, 2020.
- "MusicBot: Evaluating Critiquing-based MusicRecommenders with Conversational Interaction", CIKM 2019 Conference Presentation, Beijing, China, November 3-7, 2019.
- Review of book chapter translation: Marco de Gemmis, Pasquale Lops, Cataldo Musto, Fedelucio Narducci, and GiovanniSemeraro. Semantics-Aware Content-Based Recommender Systems.Chapter 4 of Recommender Systems Handbook (Second Edition), Springer, 2015.
- Review of book chapter translation: Gediminas Adomavicius and YoungOk Kwon. Multi-Criteria Recommender Systems. Chapter 25 of Recommender Systems Handbook (Second Edition), Springer, 2015.
- COMP 3925 Data Analysis Studio
2019-2020 S2, Excellent Teaching Assistant Performance Award
2020-2021 S2, Teaching Assistant Performance Award
- COMP 2865 Fundamental of Data Analysis and Management
2019-2020 S1, Teaching Assistant Performance Award
2020-2021 S1, Excellent Teaching Assistant Performance Award
- COMP 4015/7015 Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
2018-2019 S2, Excellent Teaching Assistant Performance Award
- 2018 - Present, Research Postgraduate Studentship, HKBU
- 2021, Best Presentation Award, The 24rd Research Postgraduate Symposium (PG Day), HKBU-COMP
- 2020, RPg Performance Awards, HKBU-COMP
- 2020, Best Presentation Award, The 23rd Research Postgraduate Symposium (PG Day), HKBU-COMP
- 2020, The James Chen Best Student Paper Award in ACM UMAP 2020
- 2020, ACM UMAP Student Travel Grant (Virtual)
- 2019, ACM SIGIR Student Travel Grant, CIKM 2019
- 2018, Outstanding Graduate, SZU, China
- 2015-2017, National Encouragement Scholarship, SZU, China
- 2015-2016, Excellent Student of Academic Performance (First Prize), SZU, China
Address: DLB625, 6/F, David C. Lam Building, Shaw Campus, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong, P.R. China